- Check the internet connection to ensure it it functioning.
- If attempting to access a specific website via the Internet, check to see if another website can be accessed through the internet browser.
- If attempting to PING another IP address on the network, check to see whether that IP address can be accessed from another client.
- Check the switch or router to ensure it is working - check the network ports to ensure they are working.
- If network access is controlled by a central MAC address database, ensure that the correct MAC address of the device in question is included in the database.
- If there has been a recent power outage, check whether devices (servers, switches, routers etc) have been probably reset or turned on.
Hard wired Ethernet connections:
- If using Static IP: ensure that there are no duplicate IPs on the network.
- If using DHCP: check the network port by connecting a portable notebook computer at the same network jack, or;
- Check the system at another station to ensure it is not a network port problem.
- Check the CAT5e / CAT6 network cable.
- If using PoE:
- Make sure the network cables are firmly connected from the PoE switch to the internal PoE splitter and/or PoE injector.
- Make sure the network patch cable is firmly connected on the computer from the POE Out port of the internal PoE splitter to the LAN port of the motherboard.
- Check that overall power capacity of the PoE switch has not been met.
- If using a POE switch, confirm that the port is properly configured to deliver sufficient power to the system.
- If using a POE injector, confirm all cables are properly connected, and that the injector can deliver sufficient power to the system.
- Check to see if external wireless antenna is connected and threaded properly into the connector.
- Try swapping an antenna from a working device.
- Check that the wireless access point is online and accessible through other wireless clients.
- Ensure that the correct SSID / Passphrase is entered in the wireless settings on the thin client.
- If using a Windows 7 device:
- Verify or update wireless configuration on the client
- Commit changes to the system using XPe's Enhanced Write Filter Manager (EWF) and reboot the system.